Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My Top 10 Creative and Affordable Vacation Ideas.

I am a member of TwitterMoms and they have teamed up with Toyota Sienna. They have asked me to write about "Your Top 10 Creative and Affordable Vacation Ideas." You can read more about that request here.

I am a frugal vacationer so this is an easy task for me!

1. Choose your destination. We like to go somewhere that is fun and a few hours away from home.
2. Choose your mode of transportation. This will help you with planning a budget. We almost always choose to drive to our vacation destination. Driving your own car will save from renting a car later. Also when you drive you don't have to worry about baggage fees.
3. Choose your accomodations. I use online websites when looking for a place to stay. I look for a hotel with a pool and continental breakfast. This is great for entertainment and it saves money!
4. Take your time in finding a place to stay. You can save a lot of money by comparing hotel room rates online.
5. Stay in a hotel from Sunday through Thursday if your time off allows for this. You will get better room rates and the hotel will be less crowded.
6. Plan your entertainment in advance. You can buy event tickets online in advance and you should get a discount on them. Tickets at the gate are usually higher.
7. Eating out - After you choose a place to stay, look at a map of restaurants near by. Find a few that your family will enjoy and then sign up for those restaurants email list. Also check online to see if they have any coupons or discounts available. Print the coupons and take them with you!
8. Kids eat free - check for restaurants that offer a kids eat free night that are near your hotel.
9. Souvineers - I save souvineer shopping for the last day on our trip. By then the kids have seen all of the items available and they have a good idea of what they really want to take home. This will also keep from getting too many "I want that!" items!
10. Snacks and food - I always plan for snacks on the drive. I will pack a cooler with drinks and fruit and then a bag with dry snacks. This will save money at the bath room breaks along the way. Snacks also help keep the blood sugars and moods in check.

Do you have any creative and affordable vacation ideas to share with me? If so I would love to hear them!

Affordable Vacation Ideas
Toyota Sienna


I wrote this blog post while participating in the Toyota Sienna and TwitterMoms blogging program for a chance to get a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments: