Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tips for getting your kids ready to go back to school



I am a member of Twittermoms and they have teamed up with Harper Collins and asked that I write about my tips for back to school time. You may read more about that request here.

Can you believe it? It's back to school time already! If your home is like ours, summer means later bed times and no homework. The kids really love this but it makes going back to school that much harder.

I try to get my children excited about back to school time by involving them in the shopping for new school clothes and supplies. We take an inventory of what they have already, then we make a list of what they need. We set aside a day that we can go and get the items that we need. I have found that we all really enjoy a special day that revolves around just them. We usually have lunch out also and that opens up the back to school conversation. I love to hear my children talk about what they miss about school. It seems to give them something to look forward to and to remind them that they really do like school and seeing their friends again.

I have found that my kids behave better during the school year when we have a structured daily routine. I feel that when we have a daily routine everyone knows what to expect out of a day, especially me! To prepare my children for the new school time routine we gradually start going to bed earlier two weeks before school starts. By the time that school starts they should be adjusted to their new bed time. They tend to wake up earlier too after getting a full nights rest and we always start our morning with a good breakfast. That is one routine that we keep regardless of the time of year.

If my children have a hard time winding down and going to sleep earlier then we will read before bed. We enjoy reading together as it provides snuggling time too.

Harper Collins has some great books that help ease the back to school worries. I have found that by addressing these worries and frets with my children, then those concerns can be eased. Reading and talking about school can bring some good hopes to young ones. It will help the class room scenario seem more familiar once they do go to school.


A good book to read for a child entering Kingergarten would be Kindergarten Diary. Annalina has some great tips for this special milestone.

Rules for School is good for older school children. Eleven year-old Alec Greven guides your elementary school kids through the school halls with the tried-and-true school rules he’s collected along the way in Rules for School. Alec covers essentials such as how to work the playground, find the right seat on the school bus, and getting homework done on time.

What are your favorite back to school books and how do you get your children ready to go back to school?

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms blogging program to be eligible to get a HarperCollins book set. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment:

Susan Chodakiewitz said...

Hi Crystal-
Nice anecdote! I'm promoting the second book you mentioned, 'Rules For School', as part of a Back To School writing contest for kids on my website! The teachers can get in on the fun too--there's a $50 gift certificate for the winning kid's classroom to spend on new books.

You can check it out, and maybe post it on your blog, if you like it ;)
Here's the link:
http://www.booksicals.com/booksicals-back-to-school-contest-for-kids

See ya on Twitter!
~Susan