Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day has teamed up with twittermoms and asked me to share my top 10 helpful tips for a cleaner, greener home with you. You may read more about that request here.
I believe that a clean home is a happy and healthy home. I like to use natural cleaning solutions that are void of harsh chemicals. Natural cleaners work just as well as chemical cleaners as long as you know the right combinations to use. Natural cleaning solutions are also safe for children and pets. You will find that natural cleaning solutions tend to cost less than abrasive chemical products. Many of you will have these natural cleaners in your kitchen cabinets and you just don't know it yet!
I am listing my helpful tips for a cleaner, greener home in hopes that you will be motivated to try them yourself. If you enjoy the results of these tips then you may be encouraged to search the internet for other cost efficient natural solutions to your cleaning needs.
My top 10 helpful tips for a cleaner, greener home are:
1. Rid your home of bad odors: To stop unpleasant cooking odors from permeating through your entire house, boil a cup or two of vinegar in a pot on the stove. The vinegar will absorb the odors.
2. Cleaning the microwave the natural way: Boil 1/4 cup of vinegar in a bowl of water. This will keep your microwave grease free and smelling as fresh as the day you bought it.
3. Eliminate bad refridgerator odors: Put a box or small bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator, freezer, or any cupboard. It will keep away unpleasant odors.
4. Cleaning hard surfaces: Sprinkle baking soda on a damp cloth. Wipe, then rinse with clean water.
5. Eliminate unpleasant food container smells: Rinse out the container with hot water and baking soda. If the smell persists, let the container soak overnight in the baking soda and water mixture.
6. Remove scuff marks or grease spills from a floor: Sprinkle the spot with baking soda and then wipe with a warm, damp cloth. This is even safe for no-wax floors.
7. Clean your sink or bathtub: Use full-strength vinegar to clean these areas. Simply apply with a sponge and then wipe clean to reveal a sparkly shine.
8. Dirty Windows: Use a solution of equal amounts of vinegar and water to clean your windows. Dip newspaper pages into the solution and wipe the glass until it's almost dry. Finish wiping with a dry newspaper page. The streaks will disappear and the window will shine.
9. White glue on a rug or sofa: Use white vinegar on the spot. Dab a little white vinegar on the spot and rub it gently with a dry cloth.
10. Carpet odors: Sprinkle your carpet with baking soda. Let stand for at least fifteen minutes and then vacuum. Repeat if needed.
There are so many great ways to clean your home naturally. These are just a few of my favorite tricks. Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day products make many natural products too that are safe for your home. Their products are made from plant-derived ingredients and essential oils instead of harsh chemicals. Mrs. Meyer's cleaning supplies are earth friendly, biodegradable, phosphate-free, and not tested on animals. Their slogan is "You can clean like the dickens yet your home still smells like a garden!" Mrs. Meyers offers refreshing scents that include cool and crisp Basil, soothing Lavender, invigorating Lemon Verbena and uplifting Geranium. They also make a line of Baby Blossom personal care products specifically formulated and dermatologist-tested for little ones.
Do you have any great tips for a cleaner and greener home? If so, I would love to hear them. Together we can make our homes both greener and cleaner!
Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Mrs. Meyer’s blogging program, making me eligible to get a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.