Sunday, February 27, 2011

How I Get The Best Deals From The Brands My Family Loves

I am a member of SocialMoms and they have teamed up with Kroger for this fun blogging opportunity. I have been asked to share how I am getting the best deals from the brands my family loves. You may read more about that request here.

I have always been a thrify shopper. Some call me frugal and others call me cheap but what I call myself is a smart shopper! We all work hard for our money and need to stretch it as far as we can, right? So why not but your resources to work and same some money on your groceries.

My top 10 tips for saving money on the brands that your family loves are below:

1. Read your grocery store sale adds. Make sure that your add is in date and look at the products, brands and prices that they have to offer. As you read your adds, make a list of the items that you want. I list the item brand name, product description, weight of the product and the price. I want to make sure that the item that I pick up at the store matches this description so that I get the sale price.

2. Compare store adds. See which store has the better sale adds for the week. If the cost of gas and driving distance isn't a burden for you, then it is smart to drive to each store and shop for their sales. Remember to only get sale items that are on your list. Try not to do any compulsive shopping because an extra item or two at each store adds up fast!

3. Get familiar with the prices of products that you use on a weekly basis. If you know what the normal price is of something that you use, then you can know if you are getting a good deal on it or not when you shop.

4. Make your families food menus based on what the grocery stores have on sale for that week. Try to make at least the meat portion and the fresh produce portion something that is on sale for the week.

5. Stock up on sale items. If you find something that is a low price and it is something that you use often, by all means, stock up on it! Make sure to look at the expiration dates of the products that you are buying. You don't want to get so much that it expires before you have a chance to use it.

6. Coupons are your friend! I love to use coupons. You can sign up for mailing lists for the brands that you use most often. Most of your canned or boxed food items will have a website or a phone number listed on the packaging. Don't be afraid to conact the company to see if they have a mailing list that you can be added too. Some companies will even send out free coupons for products if you ask for them.

7. Get your local Sunday newspaper. The local Sunday newspapers usually have coupons in them. These are manufacture coupons that may be used at any store. The savings amount and brands may differ but they usually have long expiration dates. You can save them until your needed items are on sale.

8. The internet is a great place to find savings. There are many blogs and websites that do the sales add and coupon match up work for you. This is a great way to save time while saving money at the same time.

9. Don't shop while you are hungry. I am sure that you have heard this many times before but it is true! I tend to buy more quick, convenient junk food if I am shopping on an empty stomach. Shop after a meal and not only will you be saving money on your grocery bill but you will be burning calories too!

10. Remember, money is only well spent if it is on items that you will use. Don't spend your money on items that will spoil or ruin before you have a chance to use them.

All of these tips are ones that I use on a weekly basis. These tips work for groceries as well as health care items. Yes, it does take a little bit of time and planning but you will get use to doing these steps and they will become a way of life. As they say: time is money. I can promise you that if you invest a litle time at home, you will save money at the grocery store.

Now a word from our sponsor:
Kroger’s popular CartBuster savings event offers deep discounts on popular items. During this 14-day promotion running from February 27 to March 12th, customers will receive CartBuster savings on products from favorite brands like P&G, General Mills, Nestle, and Pepsi by visiting the Kroger Facebook page.

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms Kroger CartBuster blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments: