Thursday, May 12, 2011

Family Fun

I am an at home mom and my number one rule is to have fun. I believe that if our daily routine is fun, it will help our children to know what to expect and our day will run smoother.

We make our morning time together fun. I like to wake my children up with a big hug and a quick snuggle. This is our little special time together and we all enjoy it. A little love and a lot of fun can help jump start the day the right way.

Choosing our school clothes for the next day is fun. My children like to express their individual personalities in the clothes that they wear. At night we go through their drawers and closets to pick out their outfits for the next day. I find that choosing our clothes the night before saves us a lot of time in the morning.

Going to school can be fun too. Both of my children are in public school full time. I always ask them how was their day and I make sure to really listen to them. I always hit on the fun aspects of school. I make sure to ask about music, p.e., computer class, lunch and their friends. I want them to enjoy going to school and I want them to know that I really do care about how their day was.

I like to have fun with my children by making homework and learning fun. We sing little songs to help us learn our spelling words. The tunes we sing are catchy and it helps make the spelling work easier for them. I find that if we make homework fun, the children will fuss less and endure the work better. My children show pride in their school work and it shows on their report cards.

I encourage my children to read because reading is fun. My son will read his library book at least 3 times a week for school. His favorite time to read is right before his lights go out for the night. My daughter is 6 years old and she is learning how to read. We love to read a bed time story before her lights go out. Reading before bed is a fun way to unwind and to settle in for the night. It gives us a little bit of quite time that we enjoy and look forward too.

We enjoy a daily snack together. Snack time can be both fun and educational at the same time. Yesterday I let my children create their own snack. I gave them a tortilla, peanut butter, banana and strawberry jelly. The snack was nutrious and they had a blast creating their own masterpiece. They ate every bite without a single complaint. Plus they had fun!

Dinner time can be fun also! I like for my children to help me prepare our dinner and menu. Last night we had meatball subs, salad, tomatoes, baby carrots and ranch salad dressing. My children helped by arranging the veggies on our plates. They will eat their veggies better if they help create the dish that they are in. This dinner time fun allows them to be creative and helpful at the same time.

We also make exercise fun and a family event. My kids love to exercise and they are both involved in after school sports. My son is currently playing baseball and he will start football in the fall. My daughter is playing her first year of T-Ball now too. I love that sports teach our children that exercise is fun and rewarding.

We try to have fun even if we are driving to town or to a doctor appointment. Car rides can be fun too if you try. We like to have learning challenges in the car when we drive. I ask my kids to work a math problem that I give them and sometimes we will spell their spelling words for the week also. This game is not only fun but it helps to pass time nicely also.

I would love to hear about how you make your family life fun. Life is too short to be serious all the time. I find that my job as a parent is so much easier if I can make every day go by smoothly. A little fun definately doesn't hurt either!

Disclosure: I am a Purex Insider and they have prompted this blogging topic on Family Fun. I am writing this post in hopes of becoming a Featured Purex Blogger of the month. The opinions are my own.

No comments: