Sunday, September 25, 2011

10 Tips For Preparing Your Home For A New Baby

I am a member of SocialMoms and they have teamed up with Seventh Generation for this fun and important blogging opportunity. I am a mom so I do understand the excitement and preparations that go along with becoming a new parent so I decided to take them up on this posting challenge. You may read more about that challenge here.

While it is easy to get caught up in the shopping for new baby clothes, nursery furniture and even choosing a child's name, we sometimes forget that the most important part of having a new baby in the home is keeping them safe. There are so many things to consider when it comes to baby safety and I would like to share my top 10 safety measures with you.

1. Before you purchase any big items such as a crib or car seat, be sure and check the products against the product recall list. There are many items on the recall list and you want to make sure that your items aren't listed there.

2. You may want to purchase a baby monitor and place it in your childs room at night. This will give you peace of mind knowing that if your baby wakes up in the middle of the night, you will hear them and can go to their side. This little precaution allowed me to sleep better knowing that my child would be able to get my attention even if I was in a deep sleep.

3. I like to use sleeping sacks to keep my babies warm. I use these instead of blankets in my baby's crib. This will keep the infant covered and allow them to not get tangled up in the blankets. Blankets can cause a hazard for wiggly babies.

4. I like to have a mobile above my child's bed. This will help keep the baby entertained and they can watch the mobile go around. I keep stuffed animals out of my babies bed because they can get caught up under a child and they won't be able to breathe.

5. I have child safety locks installed on my cabinet doors and drawers. You never know when your baby will start crawling and it is never to early to be prepared for this. A good safety lock will keep a child out of your cabinets and away from harmful products. These locks were easy for us to install and they were inexpensive also.

6. I use electrical plug covers in all of our outlets in our home. These little covers are very inexpensive and may save your childs life. Electricty is dangerous to little fingers who want to explore every little nook and cranny in their home.

7. I keep all of our medicines in a cabinet that is high off of the ground. I make sure that only adults are able to reach our medicines. I don't want for something that is supposed to keep us well, to make my child sick.

8. I have a list of important phone numbers listed on our fridge. These numbers include my husband's cell phone number, our doctor's office phone number, poison control numbers and our local police and fire department numbers. You never know when the unexpected emergency may come up and I want to be prepared just in case. I don't want to take the risk of drawing a blank when I need to keep my cool.

9. There are child identification kits that are available to the public. I have had one of these made for both of my children. I keep it in a fire proof box in our home. Again, you can never be over prepared when an emergency arises.

10. Safety gates are a good option when it comes to keeping a baby safe. This will help teach the child boundaries and to keep them safe and out of harms way at the same time.

Another way to keep your home safe for your new baby is through using safe and natural products. It is good to know that Seventh Generation is tuned in to the needs of new parents and their babies. Seventh Generation offers Free & Clear baby-care products that include diapers, wipes and baby liquid laundry detergent. Seventh Generation's Free & Clear diapers are free of chlorine, latex, fragrances and petroleum-based lotions. They come in a range of sizes from newborn to stage 6 diapers. Seventh Generation’s soft, cloth-like Free & Clear Baby Wipes are free of alcohol, synthetic dyes and fragrances and whitened without chemicals containing chlorine. Seventh Generation wants to help make your home and our planet a better place for you and your baby.

My motto is that it is better to be safe than sorry. Moms are notorious for being worriers. I like to think that we think and plan ahead and that we are prepared for anything.

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Seventh Generation blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

No comments: