Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Family Time: Playing Outdoors

I am a member of SocialMoms and they have teamed up with Clorox2 for this fun blogging opportunity. You may read more about that request here.

I am a mom of 2 school aged children and I am a true believer in keeping my kids healthy and active. I encourage them to eat fresh fruits and veggies daily by making them available to them both at home and at school in their lunch box. I also encourage outdoor play activities for my children. I am lucky because my kids don't see outdoor play as exercise, they see it as being fun. We enjoy playing basketball together and bike riding. My daughter has a swing set that she still enjoys and we have a trampoline that is fun too. I think that the trampoline is my favorite outdoor piece of equipment. Our whole family can take turns jumping and doing "tricks". We sometimes even set up the basketball goal by the trampoline and we have shoot outs with 2 people on the trampoline and 2 people on the ground gathering the missed balls. We take score and once 10 baskets have been made, we switch out positions. This is a fun way to get together, use our muscles and burn a few calories. The laughs that we get out of it is the added bonus.

Did you know that September 24, 2011, kids and families are encouraged to participate in the Worldwide Day of Play? This is a day set aside for us to turn off the TV and to play outside with your loved ones. It is said that physical activity can improve health, self-esteem and the well being of children. We can teach our kids a healthier lifestyle of limited TV time and more physical activities. Clorox 2® is a proud sponsor of Nickelodeon's 8th Annual Worldwide Day of Play. If you would like to get involved, you may take the Clorox2® Play 2Day pledge to play outside! By taking the Pledge to Play you will be entered for a chance to WIN a trip to Yosemite National Park and other great weekly prizes! Wow! Bonus!

I took the Clorox2 Play 2Day Pledge at http://clorox2play2day.com because I know that outdoor play is healthy, fun and easy. I also agree that staying physically active boosts energy, lowers anxiety and stress and builds friendships. Will you take the pledge?

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Clorox2® blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment:

Shannon's Tales of Motherhood said...

Nice post Crystal! I took the pledge as well.It is true about self-esteem improving and health with physical activity.Outside is so peaceful and the sun is just so amazing,it helps my day go easier when I'm outdoors.The kids love it!!