Friday, January 13, 2012

My Top Healthy Snacking Tips

I am a member of socialmoms and this time they have teamed up with Snyder’s of Hanover for this fun new blogging program. They have asked me to share my healthy snaking tips and a delicious recipe that includes pretzels as an ingredient with you so this should be fun!




For me, the New Year always brings resolutions with it. I always strive to be healthy and to exercise but I really do focus on those aspects of life especially at the beginning of a New Year. I am a mom and I am responsible for my whole families eating, not just mine. I try to provide healthy snacks and lunch box fillers for my children while yet still being creative so that they don't get bored with their food options. One of the ways that I do this is to make what we like to call hodge podge mix.

Hodge Podge Mix:

1/4 of a cup of small dried fruit (raisins, blue berries, or cranberries)
1/4 of a cup of cocoa flavored almonds
1/4 of a cup of marshmallows
1 cup of pretzels (Snyder’s of Hanover are our favorites)

You simply add these items together in a small bowl and mix them together. You may give or take on the serving size but the outcome should be the same. This is a fun snack that your children might enjoy too. Not only does this little recipe provide a healthy sweet and salty snack but it does so without a lot of fat!

When it comes to eating healthy, I find that my children enjoy a wide variety of foods and they generally don't complain about what is being served as long as they have some choice in the matter. My children are 7 and 11 and I usually ask them if they would like a hot or cold drink when they come in from school. This allows me to provide them a choice and I don't have to ask them for a specific drink that they want. I like that I can decide what actually goes into their cup. Today they both choose hot drink and I made them a nice hot cocoa with warmed skim milk and they enjoyed it.

I also might ask my children if they would like a sweet or salty snack with their drink. If they choose salty, then they usually get low fat air popped popcorn or a hodge podge mix. If they choose sweet then they will usually get fresh fruit topped with a low fat yogurt or peanut butter. I also like to serve fresh fruits and vegetables paired up with a low fat dip for afternoon snack times and these fair well in lunch boxes too as long as you throw an ice pack in with them.

While I like to snack, I try to do so in moderation. I am aware of the calorie content as well as health benefit from the foods that I choose for both me and my family. A few healthy items that we use to make healthy snacking fun may include: fresh fruits, fresh cut veggies, low fat cheeses, low fat dips, air popped popcorn, pretzels, dry cereals, dried fruit and tree nuts.

I would love any comments on how you include healthy snacks in to your daily routine.

Disclosure: I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Snyder’s of Hanover blogging program, for 6,000 My SocialMoms Rewards Points. For more information on how you can participate, click here.

1 comment:

SocialMoms said...

Love the Hodge Podge mix! I'll definitely have to make it for the kids.