Friday, May 4, 2012

How I Save Time In The Kitchen

I am a member of socialmoms and they have teamed up with Dawn for this fun blogging opportunity.  For this opportunity I have been asked to share how I create an efficient and time-saving daily kitchen routine in my home as well as my thoughts on the new Dawn Power Clean dish soap.  I have received a free Dawn Power Clean kit worth $15 so that I may try this product and provide an honest opinion on how well it works for me.

As a busy at home mom I pride myself in running an efficient household.  I find that if we have a daily schedule, our day will run smoothly and we will have less bumps and bruises along the way.  One of the ways that we do this is by making the most of every minute of our day.  We start at 7:10 each week day morning and I prepare breakfast while the kids are getting dressed for school.  Our breakfast routine is cold cereal, milk and a drink for my daughter and hot oatmeal and a drink for my son.   While they enjoy their breakfast I put together their lunch box.  This task is pretty easy since I usually send them leftovers from the night before and the meals are already packed in their containers and ready to go.  I simply put the meal, drink, napkin, silverware and a fruit in their lunch box.  Once the kids teeth are brushed and hair is combed, we hurry out the door and it's off to school for us!

Once the children are safely at school and I am back home, I start my breakfast clean up routine.  Since trying the new Dawn Power Clean my routine has changed a little bit.  I add a little bit of Dawn Power Clean to my dirty breakfast bowls and let it sit for 5 minutes while I make my coffee and rinse out the kids glasses.  Once the 5 minutes has passed my dishes wipe out easily and I have fresh coffee made also!  I call it a day in the kitchen and I move on to the rest of the house.

My children are out of school at 3:30 each day and that automatically means snack, homework and then a little bit of play time.  Our snack is easy.  We pair a fruit and small protein such as nuts, peanut butter or cheese with milk and crackers.  I love that our snacks are quick and nutritious, plus there is very little preparation or clean up involved!  I find that if we wash our fruit when we bring it in from the store that it makes it easier and quicker to enjoy it when it is needed.  We also have a drawer in the fridge for the cheese and the nuts and crackers are on a low shelf in the kitchen so that the kids can reach for them theirself.  This not only helps me out time wise but it also teaches the children how to be independent and how to make healthy choices in the kitchen.

Once homework is started then I start our dinner.  To help save time in the kitchen I have bought preplanned foods that I have paired into meals.  I will chose our meat and put it in the oven to bake.  While it is baking I will prepare our side dishes.  I always keep fresh veggies, such as carrots, salad, baby spinach, and tomatoes on hand for a quick side salad to go with our meal.  If we are low on fresh veggies then I will turn to frozen or canned options. 

My number one time saving tip in the kitchen is to learn to multitask.  I try to constantly think ahead and plan our meals as I write out our grocery list.  Then while the meals are cooking, I try to put together our sides and clean the dishes as I go.  I have found that with Dawn Power Clean, I can take our meat out of the baking dish and put it on our plates.  While I cut up our meat, the dish cools enough so that I can safely add water and Dawn Power Clean to it before we sit down to eat.  Once we are done enjoying our meal, the Dawn Power Clean has set in the baking dishes long enough so that I can quickly clean my dishes immediately after dinner.  In the past I would let the greasy or sticky dishes set a few hours or even over night and now I only have to let them sit 5 minutes and they are ready to be cleaned.  I know that this will definitely save me time at night.  Once we are done with dinner, I can be out of the kitchen in a matter of minutes instead of having to return to kitchen duty again before retiring for the night.


Disclosure:  I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Dawn blogging program, to earn My SocialMoms Rewards Points, and I received free product for participating. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own. To read more posts on this topic, click here.

1 comment:

Barb W. said...

Great tips, thanks! I try to multi-task, but sometimes that backfires for me... I think it's likely because I try to do juggle too much... but when effective, it is such a huge time-saver!